Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pizza By The Book

Wednesday is our Library day. We go there for a few hours. Seth loves to sit at the computer and have "Green Eggs and Ham" read to him over and over. Ivy loves the pop-up books, "Star Wars" being her favorite. I love wandering the aisles, and the very idea that I'm surrounded by so much information. Yeah, I'm a total and complete nerd, but I'm also totally and completely down with it.

I remember how awesome it was to earn a monthly Personal Pan at good old Pizza Hut by simply reading. As a kid, you get rewarded for doing things that you would otherwise never do. That's why I couldn't quite figure out how in the world I'd earn prizes for reading. It's all I wanted to do when I was younger.

I could have read for days at a time. Sleeping, eating, school, church, and basic hygiene burdened me as obstacles to what I really wanted to be doing. My favorite place to escape was behind the green chair in our old living room. I felt virtually invisible there (boy, I could really use a place like that again).

I have a confession to make. Mom, stop reading now if you'd like to keep your unsoiled memories of me intact (hey! I saw that eye-roll!) In elementary school... when we would have to hand in our reading log's... I would actually... lower the amount of pages that I had read!!! I'm so glad to get that off of my chest! It's been weighing me down for years. I'm finally free! I would get so embarrassed about reading 10x the amount that anyone else had, that I was afraid people would think that I was lying. Getting questioned about it would have been absolutely humiliating, so I tried to stay below the radar. Be honest, you see me differently now, don't you?.

You'd think that having torn through so many books, my spelling and grammar would be better. Hmmm... go figure.

Actually, things haven't changed much, just my priorities. Kids and husbands are just SO needy....

2 comments:

Annette said...

Katie,
I remember the library days - they were fun but I'm glad they're over. I love The Good Earth. Very thought provoking. Thanks! Love you guys.

chrissy said...

ooo Im katie and I read a lot.